Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.

Wednesday, July 2, 2008


July 2 5:25

Today is a good day......let's just take a second and relish in the moment......okay.....so on to the details. Well the biggest and best news is that both boys have had their PDA's closed!!!! At least for now the three doses of indicine have done their magical little trick and closed the PDA's in both our little heroes. So how did they celebrate??? Like all red blooded american males do!!! They immediately went right back to the boob!!! Okay, I know, that analogy is getting old, but today's a good day so I'm entitled to recycle an old joke :):) The docs were so comfortable with the situation this morning that they ordered the boys back on a feeding schedule. While we were there they actually were getting their second feeding of the day. Closed PDA's + routine feedings = very good day!!! While Tyler's respiration seems to be remaining stable, little brother Parker just can't seem to settle into a groove (this seems to be the one discrepancy between the two little guys.) Late last night they tried switching Parker back to the original vent that he was on, but by the time we got there today he was already switched back onto the oscilator he's been on for several days now. The switch wound up not being very good, so they swithced him right back. He seemed to have found some stabalization to a certain degree by the time we left, albeit with a slightly higher oxygen input than i'd like to see. We're told that this balancing act will be going on for both boys for the next six weeks......oh what fun we have to look forward to!!!! Other than that they both we're getting some tummy time, so they were both very content while we were there. While newborns are never suppose to be on their tummies due to SIDS our two little cuties are allowed to since they are hooked up to a thousand monitors with alarms that will alert the nurse should anything happen. They seem to really due much better and like being on their tummies, so the nurses try to allow it as much as they can. While they love their tummies, I'll know they are really resting comfortably when they pull a Al Bundy and kick back with their hands resting comfortably in the waist band of thier pampers!!!

Heather has a follow up appointment to check on her blood pressure this Friday morning. We're hoping to see the disappearance of her pregnancy induced hypertension. Her healing is progressing as well as can be expected (thanks to the wonders of Vicadin and Motrin). Each day finds her a little bit more mobile than the last. All is good for now, so we'll remain in the land of hope and optomism.....where we hope to see all of you!!!


Brandon said...

That's the kind of update I like to see. It'll be onto the cheese whiz in no time! -Brandon

Ashley said...

Glad to hear the cuties are doing so well! Heather, my preg-induced hypertension didn't go down (on its own or to a completely normal level) for almost four weeks post-birth. My ob/gyn said this was normal. Don't sweat it if it's not completely back to normal yet. Hope you're healing well too!