Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.




Thursday, July 17, 2008

Daddy's Turn

July 17 10:45 pm

Heather's been through a lot. She's been a trooper the entire time and has just reaffirmed for me why I love her as much as I do. So it was only right that the first three days of cuddling Tyler went to her.....but today was my turn. One word.....magical:) I knew he was small.....I mean, I spend a lot of time with him every day......I cup his head and his feet and sing to him......but I really got the realistic perspective today when Kathy, the nurse, put him on my chest. You truly. only really understand how small he is when he's cuddled up on your chest and you are trying to hold him. My two hands engulf him.....he's swallowed up in them and gets lost in just a little bit of shirt......but I could feel every breath.....I was aware of every movement, no matter how minute.....I could sense every little change.....at one point his breathing changed......I'm not sure how to describe it, but I knew he needed to be suctioned (I'm really glad I was right, cuz I would have felt like a fool asking the nurse to suction him when he was totally fine!!) Ty and I spent an hour cuddling ( which would have lasted longer had my right arm not fallen completely asleep.......I really didn't want to adjust anything I was doing, as he was so completely at peace). We had some good man to man time:) The humor of the day.....well Tyler took care of that too. We were regaled with the story of his projectile bowel movement while being changed......yes it caused two nurses to scream out loud, causing the other nurse in the room to come running for medical emergent assistance....needless to say she arrived to encounter an unbelievably amusing moment rather than an emergency. He not only got his entire incubator changed, but two nurses also needed a cleaning......little stinker!!!!

Parker attempted the same thing with Heather while she was changing him, but mommy was quick on the draw with the open diaper and was able to control (or should I say contain) Parker's attempt to follow big brother's earlier performance. I had to bring in reinforcement cloths to assist her as the event continued for almost a minute. Needless to say, after cleansing his bowels, Parker seemed much much more at peace. This was a welcomed peace as our little Parker had a pretty up and down day. I wouldn't classify it as a bad day, but he definitely was not following the pattern of the prior three days. He desatted quite a bit today and with more extreme fluctuations than he has been. He has gained weight though....up from 2 lbs 3.6 oz yesterday to 2 lbs 5 oz today......keep going little buddy!!!! He is up to 18 ml feedings while Tyler is at 20. Grow little buddies grow!!!!

3 comments:

finfan said...

Your descriptions bring back the memories of my newborn kids so many years ago. No need to relish these moments as they stay with you forever as crisp and clear as if they happened yesterday. You’ve said over the years that I’m an awesome father; yet you my brother will eclipse any skills and abilities I possess. You and Heather will be the epitome of good parents. It always boils down to the love of which I have much for you all.
Jim

Anonymous said...

T,
I just learned about all of this last night and have so far spent all morning reading up on everything that you and Heather have been through.You never cease to amaze me with how strong you prove to be time and again. I'm really happy for the both of you and I will be praying that Tyler and Parker keep having good days, that they keep growing and keep eating more, and that they keep getting to the place they need to be at. I am so happy for you.
Scott McGhee.

Cindy Cutts said...

Every night I check in with Team Thompson so see how the boys are doing. The only thing missing is the big hug I'd give each of you when I finish the daily blog.

It brings back to many memories of sitting in the Neonatal icu ward with Casey at Good Sam in Corvallis, almost holding my breath trying to be some kind of parent to him. There was a bit of a grieving process at first, because leaving your baby at the hospital is not the way it's "supposed to be." But educating ourselves and demanding answers from doctors and nurses helped us get past that.

The best gift I can give you now is the daily prayers I say for both boys. I celebrate your victories, and hope that if you are feeling discouraged you'll pick up the phone and let me assure you that I have six feet and 175 pounds of proof at my house that tiny little boys can grow up to be strong, smart men.

Hang in there, savor the moments and rest. Because it won't be long and you'll be chasing them both all over town, deciding who is dropping them off at practice and who is picking them up.

God bless.