Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.




Thursday, July 3, 2008

32 ounces

July 3 6 pm

So how old are you? Well this next question is going to be a telling sign......do you remember when the fast food industry as well as AM/PM first introduced the unbelievably huge 32 ounce soda?? Before that point we were looking at 20 oz of soda as a large. When the Big Gulp first hit the market from AM/PM we all thought they were crazy. Who was actually going to drink a full 32 oz of soda?? Were they serious?? Now of course a 32 oz drink from AM/PM is pretty much the smallest size you can get. A 64 oz cup has become the norm and 128 oz of soda (in a non disposable plastic mug) is not that uncommon to see. Ooooohhh where did those days go.....but i digress.

Here comes your math lesson of the day (come on....it's what I do!!!!!) Can anyone tell me how many ounces are in a pound?? What!!! ounces are for liquid loser....if you're going to talk about weight you can't use the same measurements......can you........oh don't even get me started on how screwed up the American measurment system is!!!!! And yes it is the American measurment system!!! Every other civilized nation on the this glorious little planet utilizes "that other system" of measurement.......yes the other one......the one that makes a thousand times more sense than ours......the one that is so unbelievably logical that the only reason we don't use it is because of our super power arrogance!!!! Let the rest of the world conform to a bass ackwards system like ours!!! That is our credo......we'll be damned before we convert to rest of the worlds completely logical and much much easier system......We're Americans dammit!!!! Okay so I said don't get me started, but then there I go.....off on another useless (but completely coherent) tangent that really doesn't have much to do with my sons' (Kristen...did you like how grammatically correct I was in my use of that apostrophe:):):) health. So once again I digress. Back to the cutest damn preemies on the planet.....The question was (okay I've been on such a rant I forgot the original question and have to go back and look it up).......Ahhhhhhh, that's right......how many ounces are in a pound?? Well the answer my friends is 16 oz. ( I always remember that cuz my buddy Tony and I love to get the 16 oz prime rib at outback and I always think "holy crap, I'm actually eating a pound of red meat......poor bowels:(:(). So what the heck does 16 ounces in a pound have anything to do with anything. Well, let me tell you!!! Tyler hit a benchmark today and broke the two pound bearier in body weight!!! And there was much rejoicing....at least there was from Heather and I who did a little celebratory dance in the NICU....a quiet one of course. We found out today that Tyler currently weighs 2 lbs. 4oz. We were quite the proud parents. Parker is rapidly approaching that 32 oz threashold himself as he currently weighs in at 1 lb 13 oz. Both boys have increase their feeding amounts dramatically and continue to find the PDA closed (keeping the faith they'll stay that way). Tyler is doing well overall. He has filled out quite a bit and looks much less like a wrinkled old man and is really beginning to look much more like a little baby.....a really really small one, but a baby nonetheless. Parker, although he has gained almost seven ounces as well, still remains in a battle with the respirator and his blood gasses. The nurses, who are closely monitoring everything, continue to make regular adjustments to his vent settings as well as his O2 mixture to attempt to stabalize our little guy. Today while we were there the doctor came in and made yet another adjustment to his vent. Parker is a fighter, and continues to battle and continues to put on weight, so we're not in any panic. We just have trouble seeing the lil' guy struggle so much. We took some new pics so I'll try and get those up right now. More later:)

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Such growing boys! I actually thought they looked bigger the last time you posted pics. Keep up the leaps and bounds fellas!

Jim said...

I was just wondering if they had put on any weight. And there was the answer to my question! Anne weighed 1170 grams at 30 weeks -- I think The Boys will have surpassed that mark by 30 weeks! She came home at 4 lbs 2 oz. but I'm guessing Tyler and Parker will need to be a wee bit heavier when they go home...
You are all in our prayers every day.
Barbara Eychaner