Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.




Monday, July 14, 2008

"Gimme some Skin"

Was it Jimmy "JJ" Walker from Good Times that used to always coin the phrase "Gimme Some Skin!!!" ( In addition to "DYN-O-MITE!!!!! of course). Or was it pretty much everyone in the mid to late 70's. I know the phrase had met its' untimely demise long before the 80's. So this will be another of those "how old are you moments......Do you even know what the heck I'm talking about??? Well if not, then the moment is lost on you anyways so don't worry about it for now.....ask somebody in your life who was alive in the 70's to explain.....or better yet go to Amazon dot com and see if you can buy the old TV series Good Times......ooohhhh mmmyyyy will you be entertained......you'll even get to see Janet Jackson as a little girl as an actress.....for that matter if you're gonna do it anyways go ahead and get the Jefferson's too......ahhhhhhh what memories......but I digress ( as usual)

Today was probably the best day yet for Tyler. Parker's wasn't bad either so we'll start with him and end with the fantastic day Tyler had. Parker is holding serve. He saw himself go through the night and most of the day without much drama. His blood gas labs continue to come back in the pretty good range and get just a tiny bit better each time. He seemed to be having a relatively relaxing day. He continues to desat on a regular basis, but not dangerously low as he has in the past few days. His feeding have gone from 10 to 12 ml which is a positive sign and he has been taken off of the anti-biotics. The attending doctor ( I say "attending" only because, thanks to my pathetic television viewing of Grey's Anatomy, I now know the difference between an intern, a resident, and an attending.......they go in that order by the way so basically I was talking to one of the top docs) and I spoke briefly today about Parker. He said he still has a lot of inflammation in his lungs which is what is causing the problems. The pneumonia seems to be getting better, but there are other culprits aiding and abedding with the inflammation. The plan remains to get him fat and happy. Tyler on the other hand is in full show off mode, which makes us very happy:) First of all he has reached a level of feeding with the fortified breast milk that they were able to discontinue the TPN (souped up gaterade) which......yes you guessed it......means they took out his PIC line this morning!!!!!! Yeah!!!! One long IV that went to his heart is no longer invading his tiny little body. One less thing to get infected. One less thing for him to pull on!!! The second noticeable thing was his graduation to a bigger diaper!! I say noticeable cuz he is absolutely swimming in it (see pics below). But probably the best medicine for mommy and daddy was the fact that Heather was able to "get some skin" today. The nurses felt confident enough with how he was doing on the new vent that they allowed Heather to cuddle with Tyler "skin on skin" (see pics below)!!! They (and by they I mean the nurses and docs.....that was for you Jake!!!) say that next to breast milk, being in contact "skin to skin" with your baby is the best thing for them. Tyler got that today.....and we can't wait to do the same with our other little hero Parker!!! We are already cognitive of how things have to be "even" with the twins......while Heather was cuddling Tyler I spent a lot of time "cupping" Parker which he likes a lot. Overall I would say this was a good day for both boys as well as their parents:) We'll hold onto this one as long as we can.

note: I've discovered their is a spell checker on the blog so I will at least run each successive one through a spell checker before posting.......okay okay okay.....knock it off......quit cheering......cuz I'm still not going back and making the whole thing grammatically correct!!!!! And yes......even though I'm a math geek I did graduate Suma Cum Laude and therefore can produce a document that is grammatically correct!!!! Just don't ask me to do any research in the library.....why do you think I became a math major in the first place......I'd much rather take a math final than do research!!!!!! Not exactly inspiring to know my career choice didn't depend on a love for the subject matter, but rather a complete lazyness factor.....but oh well!!! I'm writing in conversational tense not grammatical tense ( I just totally made that up....but I'M STICKIN' TO IT!!!!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm a friend of Grandma Zana and babies are my business. My heart goes out to John and Heather in their moments of pain, joy, angst etc. My prayers are with the little guys and I have assigned a couple of angels to watch over Tyler and Parker. Contact me if you need their names or ID. May God keep His blessings flowing for you both

Chuck Hecht

Anonymous said...

John and Heather
The entire Rocklin Educational Family is in your corner. Our thoughts and prayers are with Tyler and Paker for a speedy recovery. I look forward to the day watching them play/sing/dance/perform (all of the above) for the Thunder. Stay strong and let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
Kevin Brown

Anonymous said...

Dear ones,

The highlight of my day is to check on the Thompson twins and thank God for each little miracle as they go along in their journey. You know you have been in my prayers for years and will always be. Take care of each other too. God bless each of you. Always, Lenore