Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.




Saturday, July 26, 2008

Moving Up!

New "digs" for the boys - that is the BIG news today! It's amazing how much we really DON'T know about things until we're involved in them. This rings true for today's event. Both boys were placed in new incubators called "isolettes" (pics below of boys in their new environments). These type of incubators were what we assumed the boys would be in when they were first born - we were wrong. This is actually an upgraded bed, showing that both boys have progressed into a new level of care. The previous open beds that the boys were in are reserved for the sicker babies (easy access to the many tubes and for emergency medical attention). The benefits of the isolette is that it's temperature controlled and buffers outside noise (which will be good for both boys - they hate noise). From a selfish point of view, I have to reach in the little side doors to get to them - they seem a little less accessible. It's only perception of course (well, sort of - ha ha)!

Today's stats were fabulous once more! Tyler: 2lbs, 15.6 oz (almost 3 lbs - woo hoo!); 28.5% O2; 47% CO2. Parker: 2lbs, 12.1 oz (twice his birth weight!); 28.6% O2; 43% CO2. Both nurses said the boy's numbers were "stellar"! The doctors talked today about moving Parker off the conventional ventilator and onto the CPAP ("nasal prongs" hooked up to a machine that delivers a small amount of extra pressure support - one step further to him breathing completely on his own). This would allow his breathing tube to be removed - one less infection risk - yea! This would be an amazing progression...it fills my heart with hope!

I have to mention how lucky I am to have the most amazing family, friends, and co-workers. PLEASE know that I've received your messages and I am just blown away by the support and love. I never realized how important words could be - from our ability to inform everyone of the boys progress to people sending their prayers, words of support and pure love. THANK YOU! I can feel the "vibe" and have been touched by so many. And for those I don't know, especially those supporting my darling husband John, I appreciate you more than you'll ever know. I can't imagine being the husband in this scenario, especially someone like John who LOVES being in control. This takes away ALL of your control. Not only was his wife sick (but healing nicely by the way), but to end up with both babies in the NICU - what overwhelming stress. He is my miracle! I am one lucky woman and I realize it!
THANK YOU ALL AGAIN! I promise to pay this one forward some day!

P.S. The blood donations have been an overwhelming success - thank you so much!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great News!!! We are celebrating with you, what great progress for John to come home to. I bet he is anxious to see all three of you. I love your blogs too!!! Thanks for keeping us updated, we will keep up the prayers. :)
The Crutchfield's

finfan said...

Wow! Just looking at the new beds brings a sense of normalcy to the situation. The statement about the older beds being reserved for the sicker babies sent a wave of joy through me. It’s like standing in the middle of the line at the DMV and looking back at the end imagining having to start all over again. I know it’s a weird analogy but it works for me :) Much love to you, John and my nephews. By the way, it’s nice to see you continuing with the movie quotes as John so often does. "Pay it Forward" was a phenomenal movie.
Jim and family

gshort3 said...

Those blogs have me tearing up...so let me wipe the tears away and make a comment or two. I'm so incredibly happy and relieved to hear such great news for Tyler and Parker. One day at a time. You're living a miracle story and I'm waiting for the day you announce they are coming HOME!!! I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the news. We'll continue our prayers as always and look forward to meeting those cutie-pie's. Hang in there John and Heather...you are amazing parents showing such strength and love. You have a beautiful family!
Take care,
The Shackelford's
Gwen, Ronnie, Adam & Audrey :)