Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Funny Thing Happened in the NICU

So this was funny...to me at least! I (Heather) go to the NICU today and do as I normally do: walk in and scope out the nurse (who's on today/tonight?), find the nearest antiseptic foam and "scrub in", go to either Parker or Tyler's bedsides and research the monitor and all monitoring devices to view changes/stats, and then finally look into the isolette/incubator at the sweet little bundle that lies below. I know...it may not make sense to you, but for John and me it's become habit. Today was no different except I was distracted by Parker's nurse who came by as I was looking at Tyler - all bundled up and looking sweet. She was setting up for Parker's next assessment: changing diaper, taking temperature, measuring belly, suctioning, and lastly feeding. Well, these assessments only come once every three hours and I wasn't going to miss Parker's, especially since I GET to change his diaper and take his temperature. These are the ONLY things besides occasionally holding and providing mother's milk that I can do for the boys. I quickly left Tyler and joined the nurse for Parker's assessment. As I was changing his diaper the nurse told me to leave his diaper open so she could measure his belly. Well, the nurse waited a LITTLE too long to measure and Mr. Parker peed all over the place! Of course I think these moments are wonderful! ;o) The nurse quickly finished and I took him out of his newly wet but cute doggy "woof" outfit and carefully decided on his cute "my dog" outfit. After cuddling Parker beside for a while, it was brother's turn. I walked over to Tyler's isolette for his assessments and un-swaddled him for a diaper change. As his outfit for the day became exposed I just had to laugh! Tyler's "my dog" outfit peered out from the blankie. Yes, the boys were dressed alike today - and not on purpose. Without knowledge, I picked the SAME outfit for Parker - too stinkin' funny! I think I'm pretty easily amused these days, aren't I?

Report for the day: Parker had two small changes - his bpm rate down to 24 (from 26) and his feedings up to 25 mls. He desats periodically, but tends to bring himself out of it without assistance. His O2 level has been around 48-50% (not bad, but we'd like to see in 30's). Tyler continues to hate the CPAP but was tolerating it today. His desats are usually caused by the cannula coming out of his nose or from air escaping through his mouth (which is why we like the pacifier - it blocks the air in his mouth and forces it back down to the lungs).

On another note: Tyler has a new roommate today - a baby that was once in the Lion room with Parker. The parents came in and requested to talk to a doctor about why their baby was moved again (I guess the baby has visited many sections of the "zoo") and why he was put back on CPAP. A doctor came in and explained that the baby was just working too hard so the decision was made to take him off his cannula and put him back on CPAP. This baby is 36 weeks gestation (born at 29 weeks). As I listened to this conversation, I realized that this journey John and I are on is the same for many of the NICU parents. Even a 36-week baby is taking steps back, not just our 34-week old (will be on Thursday) miracles. I also realized that we still have a long road ahead. Patience, strength and good old fashioned faith is required for this journey. I hope I packed everything I'll need!


Anne E said...

Heather, we are all still pulling for you and John and the boys and sending lots of good thoughts your way! Thanks for keeping us updated. It's so nice to hear from you.

Anonymous said...


We as humans need a routine to keep us in check, as you check the stats, remember many of us come in every morning with our coffee or in my case soda, sit down and read your blog, then continue on with the rest of the days activities knowing all is well with the Thompson's.

Keep it up,
Love Helen and Don

finfan said...

I was paying special attention to your blog about your routine and how it’s such a habit now. I couldn’t help but smile when I envision the first night the boys are home. You will come in and scan the room for all those monitors and stats only to find none. I wonder if you will feel lost without them all. You will have to join the rest of us blind parents who rely on temperature, diaper contents, and what’s coming out of the nose and mouth. Anyway, we are all so pleased the boys are doing well. Love Jim and kids.