Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Surgery...here we come!

Here we go...on our way to surgery! We had no idea what to expect and REALLY didn't think we'd be in the hospital for four days. In fact, prior to going in John said, "Maybe they'll be ready to go home on Saturday!" Ha ha...we had NO clue how involved the post-surgery would be or how hard it'd be to handle two one-year olds in the hospital. How do you get a baby to stop pulling at his tubes or reaching for his bags and pump? These curious little guys were VERY good but really challenged their mommy and daddy to the fullest! Ha ha!

Overall, the surgery went well and the boys are healthy and happy. In fact, since the surgery, Parker has eaten OVER his minimum orally and continues to eat crackers and purees! He DID NOT lose his oral ability and we have yet to gavage his feeds! Tyler has increased his minimums as well but still needs day and night gavages - but we see so much promise with him. I think the NG-tube was negative for him so with its removal, we may just see improved eating! We've concluded that the surgeries were positive and necessary choices. Whew...here's one for mommy and daddy!

Enjoy the surgery "story" below!


Courtney said...

happy birthday heather!!! :) you certainly are one of the best mommies i have ever met! hope you had a great day today NOT in the hospital! :) we sent our love your way!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the photos. Good to hear it went well.