Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Surgery Is Done!

Yesterday was a LONG day and today is turning out to be longer! Surgery went well for both boys - they came through like champs. Tyler needed some additional oxygen support while in recovery, but besides that, all was as expected. John and I brought reading material (okay magazines, what can I say), DVD's and I even brought stationery to write letters! We thought the boys would be sleeping the entire day and through the night. Bwwwwaaaahaha! Both boys were up after recovery and played and fussed until they went down "for the night" around 9ish. THEN they couldn't possibly stay asleep with nurses in and out every TWO hours. What the...? After a few wing dings around midnight and 2am, I think I finally got some sleep. The chair-beds are less than inviting - I'm convinced they are created to deter parents from wanting to stay too long (I can't imagine people would actually like to stay here - ha ha). Thank goodness for my mother who brought us dinner last night and breakfast and lunch today. Not to mention helping keep the boys "entertained". Who in their right minds takes in TWO one-year olds for surgery at the same time? Only the insane like John and me.

Today all was well and we even put the boys in the same crib to "play". Their demeanor is noticeably more content when they're together. Then the Parker "drama" began! Parker's IV alarm went off multiple times, meaning there is something wrong with the tube (usually blockage or the tube is bent). His nurse was on break so the break nurse looked at the IV, tried to flush the tube and realized that the tube wasn't flushing. Rut ro! She opened up the bandages covering the IV and saw that it was almost completely out! Great, so it has to be replaced. She took it out and went to get the IV Therapist. While she was gone, Parker somehow got is foot caught in his G-tube tubing and pulled it hard enough to pull off the tape and pull at the tube (it hurt because he was crying). I had to grab him, unwrap the tubing, call for John because Parker was crazed by then and kicking around, and hope to heaven that he didn't do any damage. The nurse came back as we were huddled around Parker with "all hands on deck". She took over and re-taped the tube in place (on tragedy averted). When Parker's nurse came back on shift, she and the IV Therapist came in to replace the IV. OMGoodness - drama! After attempting, with no luck, to get the IV going in his other hand, they put it in his arm. After flushing it and taping up the entire arm, the nurse hooks him up to the pump and what happens? The IV alarm goes off again! The nurse goes to flush the tube...NO GO! It wouldn't work! She un-taped (with John now holding a hysterical Parker down) Parker's arm and tried to flush it, but it was a NO GO! ARGH! The IV Therapist comes back and this time they all go down to the IV room instead of trying to put it in bedside. Luckily his new IV went in first try (for the third time) and he was finally taped up for the last time. So a very tired Parker (poor little guy) and very tired Tyler (he had to listen to brother screaming and watch mom and dad hold down their brother) are sleeping soundly as their medication kicks in to high gear! I hope they have nice naps. Now if could take a nap I would but John's little cat nap he took this morning actually made him feel worse. The chair-beds are more tortuous than pleasure and comfort.

So that is our status. It looks like we'll be here until Monday - eek!
I am happily typing this in the Pediatric Computer Station that gives us access to the internet! Okay, I'd better go make sure John is still sitting with sleeping bubbies!

;o) I'll have pics to post later!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Those lovely "green chairs/beds" in sutters PICU are not comfortable at all. I had 2 sleep one night in one & could only imagine what 3 nights will turn out to be for you and john. We are going 2 be in Sac on Thursday & will be visiting the NICU, i hope its a good visit.. i dont think the boys will be in gear for visitors, but maybe next time we are in the area we can have a little play date. Hope things are going well & the little babes aren't going crazy in their "metal jungle gym" of beds they have there at sutter. will look forward to hearing/seeing some good news updates, we love & are praying for you 4!