Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Ready to Diaper a Baby

This weekend was pretty uneventful for the boys, but exciting for John and me as we raced around, organizing a new "baby friendly" home. Our house went from "ready to throw a party" to "ready to diaper a baby". Our large "conversation" couch turned into two grotesquely large and comfy rocking recliners and our long side table has been replaced by a changing table, bouncy chair, swing and co-sleeper. To say that we are ready for the boys is an understatement! We are ready and waiting for our lovies to come home!

Parker is doing VERY well post op - he's off of the Tylenol, his stitches are healing nicely and he doesn't show signs of irritation at all. Our little love bug is on track to come home, but no one has told us WHEN. The doctor who was in charge last week said "sometime next week". We've heard "rumblings" about discharge, but no date has been given. An MRI is scheduled for tomorrow - they are again going to check out Parker's brain to see if the "area of concern" has grown. I love their plan for giving Parker the MRI - feed him right before he goes down, put him in a transport to take him to another part of the hospital (we know how much he LOVED that ride), then wrap him up tightly so he can't move and hope he falls asleep or is still enough for the MRI so they don't have to sedate him! Holy...I have a feeling sedation is in order because I can't imagine he'll be calm after that trip again. Didn't we just do this? Too bad they couldn't have done an MRI when he was "out" during surgery last week. Great laid plans... So, after a long talk with the docs tomorrow I'm hoping we'll have more information in which to move forward!

Tyler is STILL slowly bottling only about half of each feed. He hasn't quite figured out how much FUN he'll have at home. Daddy and I talk to him daily about the wonderful things that will happen when he begins drinking his WHOLE bottle. Unfortunately Tyler is this big 9lb baby whose lungs are just not developed enough to drink a bottle without being totally exhausted. I just watch in amazement as newborns are brought into the NICU and cry loudly and clearly, eat quickly and in huge amounts, and lay in their cribs without oxygen support. Our little guys just can't do that yet. Time is the only remedy at this point - and more time means more patience. MORE patience? Grrr!

No comments: