Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.




Friday, October 17, 2008

Patience

I think this must happen to other parents who've spent as much time in the NICU as John and I have - the final weeks of the NICU stay start slowing down to snail's crawl and you can't believe how fast the 115 days in the NICU flew by and how terribly SLOW time seems to pass during the remaining days. It's as if the boys can feel it as well, like they know they shouldn't be there anymore. Trying to remain a patient parent has become my daily challenge. I'm being as accommodating as I can to get the boys closer toward that exit, but almost to a fault. For instance, I've been giving up my breastfeeding attempts to bottle feeding because I know the boys need to take EVERY feed by bottle (without the feeding tube) before they can be discharged. And today Parker was so tired but I continued to wake him up during his feeding time because I knew if he didn't take the entire bottle they'd put his feeding tube back in his nose, thus prolonging his stay. This is when I feel frustrated with myself for not being patient. Good intentions always - but why do I feel so guilty at the same time? There is no perfect timeline, is there? And no magical "patience" potion that I can take?

So this is where we stand today - an impatient parent who has nothing new to report because nothing new happened. Well, there were new gurgling sounds from Parker, new notice of Tyler's growing double chin, new warm fleece pajamas, and lots of new snuggles from the boys. And I guess a realization at this very moment that a lot of new, wonderful things actually DID happen today.

2 comments:

Anne said...

The time in the "feeder grower" room seems to move at a snail's pace and can test your patience. One thing that helped me was to never ask when Eliza was coming home. I figured I would only frustrate myself and get even more impatient if I was told "not this week." Besides what a ncie surprise when they told me she was coming home!

But isn't it nice to be able to notice the typical baby things, like double chins!

Anonymous said...

"UNEVENTFUL" is a good word. You parents are soo strong! Sounds like boys moving toward "NORMALCY" another good word. God bless and your in my prayers every time I see babies that fit the words.

Chuck Hecht aka Babies Clown