Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.

Monday, September 15, 2008

Mini Update

Because my husband is downstairs sleeping on the couch AND because many of you have written that you look forward to reading the blog each morning with your cup of coffee, I thought I'd at least write a mini update!
Today was good for Parker - oxygen level in high 20's, blood work showed CO2 in the 50's (right where it should be), and "cranky" gas level to a minimum. Mommy and Parker had a wonderful two hour hold with lots of cuddling! He stayed awake and looked around for the longest time. I fear he will be a non-sleeper because he does this a lot! The nurse said he slept a lot throughout her shift and woke up when we arrived. She thinks maybe the boys are getting used to our schedule and know when we're there. Go figure...could that be?
Tyler did not have a stellar day. His oxygen level was in the mid 30's (for him that's good), blood work showed his CO2 in the 50's (good), but his poor "cranky" level was at an all time high. The poor little guy hasn't had a good "blow out" (poopy) in over 24 hours! Eek! He's had little "smears", but no good eruption. As a result, he's just sad. Daddy tried to soothe him the best he could, but it was heartbreaking that we really couldn't do much. John DID tell the Fellow that Tyler was not doing well and probably needed "help". She was going to see how he was doing during her rounds and if he hasn't gone by then, she'll give him a glycerin suppository. Hopefully my night call to the nurse will report that he had a HUGE explosion and is sleeping soundly!
So I know this was mentioned but I must say again how amazing it is to see the boys acting like newborns. We've gone from a time when holding the babies would make them desat to holding them for comfort. Sometimes they aren't REAL comforted because of their gas issues, but at least I don't feel like I'm holding them entirely for ME anymore. I know there were days when I held the boys because I needed to, not necessarily because they needed it. Yes, selfish mommy indeed, but it was the only physical way I could "connect" with them. Not being convinced that they knew me at such a young gestation, I was determined (and probably still am) to have my boys know my hold, my smell, my voice, my everything. You can't imagine how much I look forward to the day when they are ALL mine, and I am all theirs too! No hospital, no nurses, no monitors - just us.
I guess this wasn't very "mini" was it?


MooseMom said...

Oh thank you so much for the updates! Not to worry about the cuddling time being for you or for the boys - it benefits BOTH! And they are imprinting on you (if you want to use that term) so they do know your smell, touch, voices, etc. They are only just now (if I counted right) officially newborns? You all are in our prayers and thoughts!
Eileen Mahoney (Girl Scouts)

Ashley said...

I think having you hold them helped them more than you know. There's no doubt in my mind that Mommy and Daddy time has made a difference for them.


Anonymous said...

You aren't being selfish! Those boys were still supposed to be all yours for weeks longer than they got. All of you needed that physical connection it was only your voice and you for the beginning of their life and they need you.
I am so over the top with happiness to see your family have some quality time. Way to go Thompson team!