Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.




Friday, August 21, 2009

Wow...I can't believe it's the weekend - I just don't know where time goes! Well, we had a full week of appointments: Mic-key buttons were placed Monday; Tuesday was the feeding therapy assessment; Thursday included weight checks at the GI's office; and today I filled out paperwork with Easter Seals for their Occupational Therapy. Fun times! Could my life be ANY more about the Bubbies - wowzer!

The buttons are a nice change from the big, cumbersome tubes that once protruded from the boys stomachs. The tubing is different for gavaging bolus and continuous feeds but I'm getting the hang of it. The biggest challenge is keeping the boys fairly still while I'm gravity tubing anything - formula or medicines. They are soooo antsy! Tyler's button area looks a little raw and the granulation tissue around the button is gross. The doctor put silver nitrate on both boys stoma areas to burn off the extra tissue - I think it hurt a bit because they both cried. ;o( I am keeping an eye on Tyler's because it always builds crusties around it. Fun huh? So after the boys recovered from the Rotavirus, both of their weights dropped drastically. Since then, both boys have gained a significant amount of weight and at the GI's check were: Parker 18lbs 1oz, Tyler 18lbs 12oz. This is exactly what the Pulmonologist wanted to see - two fat babies! Well, they're not quite "fat" yet, but we're coming up to chubby at least!

I'll have to write on the meeting with the Feeding Therapist later but I can express that we are VERY happy and feel extremely fortunate to have met her. She immediately recognized why the boys weren't eating and is developing a plan to begin reversing their non-eating habits. John and I are very excited to begin our journey to creating two eating boys!

Well, I have to hit the hay - John is working the High School dance tonight and I'm holding down the fort and feel pretty exhausted. Enjoy some pics of the boys playing today!


Parker: "Hey...don't you mess with my wipes and Diaper Genie!"
The boys have a THOUSAND toys and what do they play with...the stuff you don't WANT them to play with! That's how our Diaper Genie looks all day...on its side. And exactly what's the fun in wipes? The wrapper makes a cool crackling noise - oh joy!


Look at those eight teeth! Poor guy doesn't know what's about to hit him - a trip to the dentist! Parker is grinding and chipping his teeth - and I think they're also a little discolored. Just ONE MORE thing - good grief!

Tyler: "YOU want a smile out of ME?"


Can't fool me Ty Ty...what a faker! Look at that appeasing smile - just for mommy's sake, I know!

No comments: