Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Pic Pic Pic

I should actually say PIC PIC PIC!!! the PIC lines seem to be the problem of the day. Just to recap: a PIC line is a long IV that follow a major vein all the back to the heart. It is the best way of getting fluids, meds etc. into the boys. Yesterday was PIC line drama for Tyler as he had to have his replaced for the second time in two days. Well, not to be out done by big brother Tyler, Parker decided to follow suit today. Imagine that, the twins mirroring each other AGAIN!!! Come on fellas!!!! So they called me this morning needing to get consent to remove Parkers UV line (the IV in his belly button) which is really common about now. UV lines only last at most a week before the vessels in the belly button close off. So we weren't terribly surprised or worried about this development. So by the time we got there they had put his PIC line in and were waiting for the x-ray to see if it had gone in far enough......side note: they even took a little tiny lead apron and put it over Parker's Parts before shooting the x-ray to ensure that his parts would fully function later in life......a story that you can bet I will love telling girl friends later on in life:):) Now if you remember Tyler's first PIC only went up to his shoulder which was not long enough and had to be replaced. So take a wild and crazy guess at what happened with Parker's PIC......you guessed it.....it's too short!!!! So they are taking it out sometime tonight and will be trying again through his other arm. Both are still showing good signs of respiration, although they constantly are adjusting their oxygen level based on their blood gasses. Both have increased their urine output which decreased due to the medication to close their heart. They're still not peeing enough, but it is increasing and both still show no symptoms of the PDA (the heart condition) re-opening.....so that's good. Both are now completely off of the artificial sunlight and as such are no longer sporting their cool shades....although i think the chicks still dig them both:) Both boys have starting eating on a regular basis now. They have each had about 10 total feedings!! They are miniscual amounts, but nonetheless they are processing food!!

With each pumping Heather's milk increases in quantity which we are psyched about!!! We are expecting the two chow hounds to really start eating a lot more in the near future. So for now we just keep making deposits!!! ( okay i just realized that talking about Heather pumping breast milk may be kinda wierd........but oh well......it's not like i haven't already hung it out there already:)) We both continue to make our way through this surreal transition. Heather's healing at a good rate, and my head cold that i got while sleeping in the hospital has now just turned into a sinus infection (at least I know how to deal with those!!!) Missing our boys dearly and fully appreciated all of those supporting us are continually on our minds. thanks to all

1 comment:

Natalia said...

Word about the early arrival of the boys is slowly leeking out to volunteers and staff over at the Girl Scouts. Many well wishes and prayers are being sent your way.
Love, Natalia