Welcome to Tyler and Parker Thompson's Blog

Tyler and Parker Thompson arrived on June 23, 2008 at only 26 weeks and 4 days old, weighing 1 pound 6 ounces (Parker) and 1 pound 10 ounces (Tyler). Parker spent 129 days (home 10/30/08) in the NICU, while brother Tyler spent 143 (home 11/13/08). We are thrilled to have our family complete with both boys home!

This blog was created by John (the daddy) to inform family and friends (and now new acquaintances) of the twins progression. Below is the blog archive dating back to the week Heather (the mommy) was admitted to the hospital. We try to post weekly updates, but on occasion the week gets the best of us.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bubbie GI Update!

Cousin Alyssa from Southern CA visited during her spring break! The boys loved their cousin and wished they could have played with her ALL day!

I love this picture of Alyssa and Tyler - she cracks him up!

Grammie was a bit nervous with Parker standing on the back of the couch!

GI Update:
Today the boys had a very important appointment with our GI. This was the appointment to kick off their feeding trials! The last couple of months John and I have been packing calories into the boys to prepare for this challenge. Well, it worked! The boys are now 33” long and weigh 26 pounds, 8 ounces (Parker) and 26 pounds, 4 ounces. They are above 50 percentiles for weight to length. Yep, those G-tubes are doing the job!

The GI was pleased with their growth and gave us the green light to begin food trials with Parker. Tyler continues to have signs of reflux and is back on Nexium three-times daily. He also continues to throw up daily during some of his feeds. We made an appointment to have another endoscopy in a couple of weeks to look for unresolved ulcers or something else that could be causing issue with Tyler’s system. So we will remain at “status quo” with Tyler for now and begin trials after his medical issues are resolved. In the words of Winnie the Pooh, “Oh Bother!”

Parker’s food trial should be interesting. Our plan consists of discontinuing his formula gavage at midnight, then beginning a day of solids when he wakes up in the morning. He will ONLY get what he eats/drinks throughout the day (3 meals and 2 snacks) until late evening. I will also gavage water after each meal to ensure he remains hydrated. At the end of the day we will gavage one bolus of formula (100 cc’s) and put him on the pump to receive formula from 8pm to midnight. The plan is pretty aggressive and Parker will more than likely lose weight. BUT we’re hoping that he will begin to make the connection to eating and feeling full/better. Hopefully he will try more varied foods and practice his eating skills to decrease his choking. Right now he tends to choke on crackers/cookies or bites of food that he fails to fully chew. The OT and Feeding Therapist are working on improving his lateral chew. I have to remind him to chew, chew, chew, while he’s eating. I’m sure an audio tape of our eating sessions would amuse many!

So basically my life went from busy to busier! How is that possible? I will not just have ONE food tornado in my house, but FIVE? Doh! I look forward to warm weather when I can sit Parker in a little pool and feed him! Perfect right? He can get as messy as he likes and I’ll just hose him down! ;o)

No comments: